Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Clutching my pearls

I still haven't found a good way to minimize and store my portables on myself. I've passed the med student pitfall of stuffing my white coat with every pocket-sized textbook ever written and every stupid physical exam instrument, like the tuning fork (which I mistakenly called "vibrator" today to a fellow resident... as in, "Ha ha, remember when we used to carry vibrators in our pockets?"), but now I don't wear a white coat often enough to store my cell phone and PDA in their. I would do the usual technique of latching things on to the waistline of my scrub bottoms but then I have this pesky problem of my pants falling down. So lately I've taken to stuffing my phone and PDA into the boob pocket of my scrubs. The only problem is these things want to slide out of there all the time. And spilling the contents of your scrub pockets (PDA covered in sparkly stickers, pink cell phone, Fun Size Snickers) onto a patient as you're evaluating them doesn't do much to enhance their confidence in your medical skillz. I now have this graceful ritual of clutching my left boob anytime I lean over anyone in the slightest way. Attractive.

(This is also why I've stopped running places. I only have 2 hands and there are 3 pockets on my white coat for things to tumble out of. Also, you look pretty stupid running down the hallway with your arms straight at your sides with your hands clutching your pockets.)

4 comments:

Dragonfly said...

Pick pockets!
http://cgi.ebay.com/Pick-Nurses-JOEY-pouch-Pocket-Bag-Belt-Hip-Bum-Tool_W0QQitemZ330253636912QQihZ014QQcategoryZ16119QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Yes, it is a bumbag, but the alternative for me is carrying a bag, which I will invariably put down somewhere and then have to retrace my steps...

Old MD Girl said...

Can't run anywhere in the white coat either. Stuff bounces out at bad times. I just noticed that today while running to a code. I wonder why they design white coats so badly? I for one am in favor of the murse (i.e. a man bag) over 1 shoulder to carry my accouterments in.

gabbiana said...

Man, *yes* to the boob-clutching. Especially on services (OB night float, for one) where the white coat was just a hazard anyway. I often utilized the inside butt pocket for things I didn't need very often (like my wallet), but when I *did* reach for them of course it looked like I was scratching my ass. Extremely professional, I am.

khonmanrak said...

ลงประกาศฟรี ลงโฆษณาฟรี,ภาพเคลื่อนไหว