Sunday, July 22, 2007

I think it's funny that anytime I ask a medical student a question they assume I'm pimping them, when, in fact, I'm asking them because I myself don't have a damn clue.

Case in point: today was my first day of my Labor & Delivery rotation. I haven't done obstetrics since I was a third year medical student, which was three years ago. Today I was all like, "Uh...the baby comes out of the where now?"

I went to do a History and Physical on a patient about to be induced for labor, and I asked about bleeding, gushes of fluid, contractions, fetal movement, and then I ran out of questions. The patient and I stared at each other for a while until I turned to the medical student, "Uh...James, what else do we want to ask the patient?" And he was all, "Well, we must ask about right upper quadrant pain, visual changes, BLAH BLAH pre-eclampsia-cakes." Whilst I nodded my head sagely at all the Socratic teaching I was bestowing upon my pupil. Then I left the room and quickly made a note to ask all patients about pre-e symptoms during their H&P.

First days of rotations, especially as an intern, are just painful. You don't know where anything is, you don't know the nurses, you don't know how any of the paperwork is done, and you basically just get in the way and hinder actual work getting done. Also, I have a hard time getting used to the fact that I'm the one people are calling for when they say RESIDENT TO ROOM 65 STAT. So I'll run to room 65 and when I get there I wonder what exactly I'm supposed to do.

Also, when they say RESIDENT FOR DELIVERY they are also referring to me apparently, so I run into the room as the nurses are preparing the light, pushing the sterile table to the field and breaking the bed. The attending was already there getting gowned and gloved and she told me to go ahead and put on some booties, a surgical bouffant, a mask and goggles before getting gowned and gloved. Everyone was too busy running around in preparation for the baby about to fall out of the mom's vagina so I couldn't ask anyone where exactly all those things were kept, so I randomly started opening cabinets and drawers looking for the protective gear. I stuck a cap on my head and found the booties and had jammed my leg into one of them, and was hopping around trying to get my other leg into one when the baby delivered. Seriously, I felt like the world's biggest idiot. I bet the attending is still laughing at me.

In other news, I got to deliver babies! I like the adrenaline on labor and delivery and I like my teammates so I don't mind the long hours. Anyway, I'm on overnight call tomorrow night. I'm not sure how this is going to pan out. I'm tired after 3 hours on L&D.

7 comments:

tamasha said...

I've always been so confused about the difference between an intern and resident. I don't get it.

Scarletta said...

I'm doing my O&G rotation as a medical student as we speak and am absolutely loving it. However, I think I know how you feel as the resident. Yesterday, as the mother was in labour the foetal heart rate started dropping to about 90 and there was not a registrar or attending in sight. The poor resident was in absolute panic and also asking me what I thought we should do. Thankfully, an attending arrived before I had to consult Ten Teachers/Wikipedia to find out what to do...but man I feel for you. Still......babies!

Monkey McWearingChaps said...

My sister says attending births makes her want to have a c-section, and all babies look like Winston Churchill. Can you tell me if this is accurate?

Redspiral said...

You guys wear masks and whatnot just to catch?? I've never seen such a thing! Gowns, booties, sure.. but masks? I didn't know hospitals still did that. ;)

The best doc I've ever seen did not make his client get into any one position for birth, did not break down the bed, moved his gear around HER space, and talked to her about what he wanted/was looking for, not the nurses. He spoke to her face, not her vagina. He encouraged and didn't demand. He was flexible around her, as much as he could be, versus expecting everyone to move around him. I want to be him someday. :)

I really wish you would just carry a video camera and tape these antics because I totally believe it's just as you say and I desperately want to see!!! :D

Redspiral said...

And in response to monkey's comment...

I love attending births and every single one inspires me about the strength, tenacity and inner resources women inherently have, even when their own lives are in desperate circumstances. :) I hope your sister can see the things that lead to complications and work to eliminate/reduce those situations, rather than fearing the process. :)

Monkey McWearingChaps said...

Actually, she ended up as a psychiatrist. LOL.

Rose Connors said...

I loved my nursing rotation in L&D. Glad you're enjoying yours.