Sunday, July 29, 2007

Despite the fact that I myself have worn scrubs day in and day out basically since I started residency, I still notice other people's clothes. There are certain accessories that make or break people's outfits at the hospital. On women, it's shoes. On men, it's ties. Seriously, a stupid tie can take a nicely dressed man from zero to idiot in 3 seconds flat.

A really attractive male medical student just rotated through our service, and EVERYONE noticed him. When he finally came through ob while I was on I finally had a chance to meet this guy who had all the residents talking. (Yes, yes, we value people's MINDS, we do not objectify people, blah blah professionalism-cakes.) Unfortunately, I couldn't take him seriously after seeing his tie:


The answer is: NO. A Mickey Mouse tie is NEVER appropriate.

14 comments:

tamasha said...

Oh my god. I KNOW!!!

gabbiana said...

See, if I were a guy? Funny ties all the way. One of the ER attendings I worked with had a tie covered in TIE fighters, which was just the BEST THING EVER. It's a garment... and a pun!

Anonymous said...

Is that really his tie? How'd ya get him to take it off? ;-)

L said...

Are you kidding me? Mickey is always appropriate! I love crazy ties. The best ties are the vintage ones like the one with the bucking bronco. Totally cool.

sri said...

uh, woman, i just discovered your blog and sat here reading for the past several HOURS laughing my ASS OFF. i love it!!

ZenDenizen said...

My old boss at work used to call me Minnie Mouse. I couldn't be something cool like Woodstock or Mighty Mouse, no I had to be insipid Disneyfied Minnie Mouse.

Anonymous said...

Please update soon - I'm going crazy with all this waiting

confused, single and brown said...

that's tragic.

Frangipani said...

It probably goes down well in paediatrics though. Hope internship is not bogging you down too much Peg :-)

Anonymous said...

Actually, no tie is appropriate since it harbors dangerous bacteria:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/05/25/health/main619496.shtml

Of the 42 physician neckties sampled, 20 contained one or more microorganisms known to cause disease, including 12 that carried Staphylococcus aureus, five carrying a gram-negative bacteria, one that carried aspergillus and two ties that carried multiple pathogens. Staph bacteria, which often live harmlessly on the skin, can cause serious wound infections; Aspergillus, a mold, is an opportunistic infection that threatens vulnerable patients.

Anonymous said...

What has happened to this blog? Is the author still writing? I hope to hear from her soon.

Anonymous said...

We miss you, Peg. Hope residency is treating you right.

ER doctor said...

"You've been tagged! Nocturnal RN said it's the law so you have to do it! Write seven things about yourself and then tag seven other people."

Where ya been? Busy with training I would imagine...

Anonymous said...

Oh rupadupe.blogspot - you are missed. . . .