Wednesday, May 23, 2007

I always bemoan my lack of Art Appreciation and how I like to look at art (Pretty! Look at the pretty things!) but I don't really understand it, and I never pretend to get it. I accompanied a close friend of mine to the Museum of Contemporary Art as part of our recent Farewell Tour of Chicago. The museum has been hosting a Rudolph Stingel exhibit, and we started by walking through his earlier pieces and ending with his latest pieces. I won't even try to describe the pieces because they're all futuristic and obtuse and I've probably just missed the whole point and will sound like the world's biggest moron, but there was a huge room with totally empty white walls and a big orange carpet on the ground. My friend asked me what I thought of it.

R: Squinting around and looking for the art piece in question. Uh..think of what? I think they took this one down.

L: Beatifically. Nope, this is it! What do you think?

R: The ugly-ass dayglo carpet is what I'm supposed to be looking at?

L: Isn't it incredible how the carpet can make the entire room glow? Do you see any emotion here?

R: Um...danger? Actually I think the artist is hiding in a room somewhere watching this all on camera and peeing his pants laughing at us.

L: When I look into this room I see every human emotion mirrored in here. (I believe everything she says, too. This girl knows art.)

R: Oh...say, whenever you feel lonely, have you ever looked up at the stars and thought about how maybe there was some other lonely or sad person looking up and seeing the exact same thing? It's so comforting. Maybe you could take home a little piece of this carpet and you'll find some comfort in it too when you're down.

L: That's really beautiful, R. I'm so glad I got to experience this with you.

R: Smugly, for I AM A GENIUS. No problem.

Currently: Packing. It is so fun! I *heart* this so much! I am so much looking forward to moving by myself to a crime-infested city where I know like 2 people, will spend 90% of my waking hours at the hospital, and still make so little money that I can legally claim financial hardship! OMIGOD I SHOULD HAVE GONE TO BUSINESS SCHOOL.

Also currently: Wallowing in self-pity. What, was it obvious? I know, it is so attractive! There are certain events in one's life that can make all other facets of life seem dismal and depressing. For me, that event is packing. And maybe dieting.

No need to worry, I'm not rethinking my career choice, I am just mentally steeling down for residency to suck ass. Liz and I decided we're just going to expect the worst: all work all the time, with no time for fun or friends. That way, when something fun does happen, it'll be like a bonus! All part of the business, friends.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since you graduated from medical school, did you get your tatoo?

Congratulations and good luck with the move!

Anonymous said...

Yeah I know what you mean, people outside of medicine seem to have this weird idea that doctors make a lot of money, when really they don't get the money until they are old and successful by which time it really doesn't matter if you own Manolo Blahnik shoes or not.

Still, at least if the med thing falls through you've got amazing writing talent to get you through!

Please keep writing away!

Jenny said...

please continue writing when you can during your intern year! we love your writing and hilarious stories! good luck!!

Tazzy Star said...

Art. I love that interaction. I love how your friend's response was "I'm glad I got to share this with you."

I once took a friend to a local underground hipster art show out here, and he SO didn't care for it. It retrospect, kinda funny. I'll take you to art shows our here in LA which are way cooler then that PoMo crap. They have hip DJs spinning, art with cartoony characters and hot boys.

working said...

This reminds me of when I saw "The Gates" in NYC. I was saying all of these crazy things to my husband like "oooh, I really feel the vision of the artist here" and I could overhear the people behind me saying "wow, she gets it". Hehe

gabbiana said...

Man, I totally feel that way about modern art. And by "that way," I mean "WTF?" And I'm a lib arts kid who's taken (one) art history class (on the early renaissance, but who's counting?).

G'luck with the packing, move, residency, etc. You will survive! Mostly because if you don't, there is no hope for the rest of us.

SquirrleyMojo said...

although I am totally down with what this girl is saying, because I've been trained to interpret art pretty well myself. I also see your point of view clearly. in fact, i believe current artist play too much upon the skill of interpretation and not enough on the skill of creation--dialogue is a two way street.

i love the way you annotated this coversation! thanks!

Anonymous said...

You rule
you may 7 | nice 6 | good check you may check | this check | look check you may check | good 2

Anonymous said...

It cannot have effect in reality, that is what I think.
do not forget 3 | do not forget 9 | this site look 4 | do not forget 7 | superb 4 nice 6 | nice 9