Friday, April 20, 2007

You're Really Starting to Look Desperate

I'm at the library working on thesis revisions and I just received my third email from a residency program asking me why I did not choose to come to their residency program. I think the Match kinda sucks and while a part of me hates that we all have to buy into this intricate game of sorority rush (which, let's face it, that's what the Match is) when we're all grown-ass adults and THIS IS MY DOGGONE CAREER we're talking about and not just some sorority, I guess a good part about the Match is that you never have to write a break-up letter. You make a list, they make a list, hopefully you and the program meet up high on those lists, and voila! You've entered indentured servitude at the program of your choice. So it's weird when some programs email you wondering what made you rank another program's list over their's. I know they do it to improve their interview day to ensure they'll get their top picks next year, but it's one of those awkward-yet-flattering things none the same. I'm actually happy to answer their questions though, because I had certain criteria I looked for in a program, interviewed at all the programs fulfilling those criteria (and who offered me interviews), then made my ultimate decision based on proximity to my family. And that's a nice, non-personal, "it's not you it's me" way of dealing with it.

On the other hand, 2 days before the match I received an email from a program I had already been rejected from rejecting me yet again. I KNOW, assholes. I'm sure it was some technical error, but STILL. There is no need to reject me twice. I got the message the first time.

3 comments:

gabbiana said...

Wait, why was the program even telling you about your rejection *before* the match? How does that work?

square peg said...

Once you go through ERAS and send your application to different programs, they will review your records and offer you an interview or just reject you. A program that had already rejected me (which, ahem, starts with an H, ends with a D, and has "asshole" in the middle) sent me yet another rejection letter a few days before the match. It was inspirational.

Jeffery said...

So, I don't actually suppose this may have success.
4 | 1 | 2