Thursday, April 05, 2007

This was really the best you could come up with?

Last night as part of my procrastination routine I set about beautifying my blog which involved posting all the links I've been meaning to get up there for months now, as well as setting up a technorati profile. I wanted to see what other blogs linked here and I was surprised to see that one of them was a Myspace blog of someone I don't think I know. The blog was set to private so I couldn't look at it but on technorati you can look at their last 5 posts. I was half shocked and half amused to see that this hooker had copied my posts, sometimes word for word, onto her blog. Then I thought maybe she had just copied certain posts of mine into hers, because she had linked to me, right? (I'm a bit of a megalomaniac.) But then I looked closer (clearly I WAS TRYIN' TO KILL SOME TIME) and realized she had changed key elements of my posts to fit onto her blog.

Exhibit A (I tried to bold some of the changes she made):
  1. HOT! HOT! HOT!

    145 days ago

    So two weekends ago, my mom made some chai tea and I got really excited to drink it before letting it cool down: Mom: Have some hot chai! S: Yay! Lifts cup to lips and pours. M: Wait!! I just took it off the stove. S: Experiencing unbelievable pain as chai, at approximate temperature of 917 degrees F bubbles on mucose membranes of mouth. Seriously, there was probably steam coming out of my ears. HOT!!!! HOT! HOT! Owowowowowowow. Can't think straight with a mouthful of lava and just swallows ...

My post:

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

My problems are so effin' dumb.

Over the weekend my mom made some chai and I got really excited to drink it before letting it cool down:

Mom: Have some hot chai!

R: Yay! Lifts cup to lips and pours.

M: Wait!! I just took it off the stove.

R: Experiencing unbelievable pain as chai, at approximate temperature of 917 degrees F bubbles on mucosal membranes of mouth. Seriously, there was probably steam coming out of my ears. HOT!!!! HOT! HOT! Owowowowowowow. Can't think straight with a mouthful of lava and just swallows. Chai sears esophageal mucosa on the way down. Oh my Gaw! Ih ith ho, ho, hoh! Falls out of chair and rolls around in agony.

Exhibit B:
  1. Tonight at the Gym

    146 days ago

    Tonight at the gym the girl on the next treadmill started clapping when she finished her run. It was a little strange but she looked so proud of herself that I clapped too. Like, Good for you, treadmill gal! We should all support each other! We are sisters! And I thought we were totally sharing this moment til I realized that she was watching a game on the t.v. and was clapping because the team had just won. (!!) Well I'll clap to that too -- Yay (for whoever won)!! lol ...

My post:

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

I Can Play the Guitar Like a Motherfuckin' Riot


Tonight at the gym the girl on the next treadmill started clapping when she finished her run. It was a little strange but she looked so proud of herself that I clapped too. Like, Good for you, treadmill gal! We should all support each other! We are sisters! And I thought we were totally sharing this moment til I realized that she was watching the World Series and was clapping because the White Sox had just won. (!!) Well I'll clap to that too -- Yay Chicago!!

Exhibit C:
  1. Big Truck Balls

    146 days ago

    I have a confession. I have really bad road rage. (This probably isn't surprising to those of you that know me.) Like, REALLY bad. This past weekend I was driving on I-95 and by the time I reached my destination my voice was hoarse from all the screaming I was doing sitting by myself in my car. (Guns don't cause violence. BAD DRIVING cause violence...there actually is a point to this: I recently watched a very compelling documentary entitled "The Science of Traffic Jams" on the Discovery Channel, ...

My post:

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Big Truck Balls

I have a confession. I have really bad road rage. (This probably isn't surprising to those of you that know me.) Like, REALLY bad.

This past weekend I drove to Chicago and by the time I reached the Quad Cities my voice was hoarse from all the screaming I was doing sitting by myself in my car. (Guns don't cause violence. BAD DRIVING cause violence...there actually is a point to this: I recently watched a very compelling documentary entitled "The Science of Traffic Jams" on the Discovery Channel, and discovered scientific evidence backing up what I had already known --


Like...who does this?! I'm not shocked that one would plagiarize another's work, but I am surprise Shauna-licious would take MINE. Shauna - my stories suck. I really like my life but it isn't glamorous or enthralling and I write a lot about my family, my friends, my dog and work. I like documenting things in excruciating detail and I really like being able to keep those who are far away from me up to speed on what's happening in my neck of the woods. The point is that those stories are my own. They are specific to an Indian-American woman from a small town in the southern midwest who's now getting ready to graduate from medical school. My point is -- WRITE YOUR OWN SHIT. (Also, did you read that chai post? I SUFFER FOR MY ART. Don't trivialize MY SUFFERING by passing it off as your own.)

11 comments:

working said...

That is so bizarre. What is wrong with her?

chick pea said...

people are seriously f*cked up.
hence i made my blog private. now no worries ;).

Ganesh said...

je-sus, that sucks! i'm thinking of making my blog private (or deleting it outright). it's scary to have your words stolen.

chi_diva said...

Rupa,

She might copy this post too :)

Some people are cuckoo...what can you say.

chi_diva

gabbiana said...

Eww.

Now I'm all paranoid and googling random phrases from my blog entries.

We could, uh, beat her up for you?

(Thanks for the link! I promise to always cite my sources!)

chai said...

jebus! that IS scary. wtf.

Ennis said...

See, I've had that happen plenty with my blog, so I'm not so surprised.

That said, here's my guess for how your blog got ripped off. Your "fan" had to come up with a myspace blog in a hurry. Maybe she was showing somebody how to make one. More likely she claimed that she had had one for ages, and when somebody asked her for the URL, she had to come up with months of content in a hurry. She edited your posts to make them sound a bit more like her, and grabbed plenty. Possibly she had a homework assignment for a class, and had to provide a whole bunch of content, and changed some of it so that the professor wouldn't find it by googling. But I imagine there is a reason, as opposed to when people rip shit off of the Mutiny, and sometimes even leave our names at the end. I'm serious - they'll rip the whole post off, including the names "Anna" or "Abhi" or Ennis". Go figure!

Anonymous said...

You've been Kaavya'ed!

trAcy said...

technorati profile?
how might a dumb person like me figure out who is all linked to a particular blog?

creepy lame people; i buy the "it was for a class" guess, since if it's on the internet, it's up for being stolen by students.

oliviapo said...

I'd like to take you into my own fat loss practice. I was on prescribed medicines for cholesterol, and getting a means to reduce pounds in surplus was getting ever more difficult here. That's when I first heard of pharmacies online along with the chance to shed extra pounds without delay. While it assisted me to become wonderful and slender, I propose you http://www.maigrir-beau.com website. This holds me in motion!

Anonymous said...

Little doubt, the dude is completely just.
also site | you may 9 | nice 2 also site | this 6 | you may site also check | this check