Friday, April 27, 2007

"Square, please call me as soon as possible about your graduation requirements." is not an email you wish to see in your inbox 3 weeks before graduation.

Also: Reflux update! He's livin' it up with my parents. My mom takes more pictures of that dog than she has of any of her human children:

And, inspired by Dr. Pea and her inspirational words about her momma, I really, really miss my mom.
Last year our local high school called and asked her to give a mehndi demonstration to the art class, and the newspaper came out and took a picture (it doesn't take much to pass for "news" in Centralia). I love this picture not only because it's a candid of my mom but also because it really captures her personality. My mom and I are VERY different...she is very artsy-craftsy and very creative with her hands, where I like to order things out of catalogues and use that time I saved to watch TV. So early Happy Mother's Day mom! Again, uh, apologies for the excruciatingly long time I took exiting out of your womb. (Hey, have I ever been on time to anything?)

And last night (after a very ho-hum date with a guy who JUST GRADUATED FROM COLLEGE LAST YEAR -- Shanmugam said I was basically going out on a date with him or one of his friends, which was exactly what it felt like) I went with some friends to the opening of a new Middle Eastern restaurant, Alhambra. It was modeled after the Alhambra palace in Spain, and it was GORGEOUS - there were hookahs sitting on every tiled tabletop, and the walls and arched doorways were all ornately decorated. In the back was a band playing Arabic music along with an incredible belly dancer Suhaila. We scored a table so we could have appetizers and drinks to watch the show. She was such a good dancer that I couldn't take my eyes off of her. When she left the stage to dance on the dancefloor alone several men kept showering her with bills; they looked like $1s, $5s, and I thought I saw $20s too but I couldn't be sure. There was so much money on the ground someone had to come sweep it all up into a large sack with a broom. Also, the food was awesome - we stuck to the basics, hummus and falafel but everything just tasted really fresh and well-made. Lori (who is currently on ob/gyn and had to go into work at SIX AM today) wanted to stay late, but we were there til 1 am which is plenty late on a Thursday night for this grandma.

UPDATE: Turns out I signed up for an elective rotation which I never bothered to show up for. Responsibility! The registrar just asked me to go officially drop it so it would stop looking like I had failed the rotation.

9 comments:

chick pea said...

aww thanks miss rupa.. your mom sounds amazing!

and falafel and hummus i hear? if i'm ever in your neck of the woods.. i now know where to go!

tamasha said...

You should be careful with the dog and that plant with the stripey leaves. There's a ton of oxalic acid in the leaves.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reflux update! Hope to read more of your writing soon.

square peg said...

tamasha, not to worry. Reflux doesn't eat anything that's not lovingly mashed up and spoon fed to him along with soothing words of encouragement and sweetness by my mom while being cradled affectionately. He is psycho.

h-izzo said...

suhaila is one of the most famous bellydancers in the world! she has a line of bellydance workout videos that are popular among dancers..you're lucky you got to see her live!

Anonymous said...

From Suhaila's website:
Suhaila's foundational technique focuses on isolation of muscles combined with initiating the contraction of the gluteus muscle for hip work. Suhaila stands alone in her mastery of playing the finger cymbals.

Interesting...

h-izzo said...

it sounds really wierd, i know, but she's famous because she has a lot of control over her body...something most dancers aspire to have...

Peregrine said...

Gosh, there's a lot of helpful material above!
dropshipping define | bedroom furniture | kitchen faucets reviews

Anonymous said...

Goodness, there is really much useful material here!
you may here | superb 6 | nice check superb 5 | nice here | also site nice check | this 1