Friday, April 20, 2007

Multifunctional VaJayJay

Has everyone seen this:
Doctors in New York have removed a woman’s gallbladder with instruments passed through her vagina, a technique they hope will cause less pain and scarring than the usual operation, and allow a quicker recovery. The technique can eliminate the need to cut through abdominal muscles, a major source of pain after surgery.
My most recent career aspiration is to do a laparoscopic fellowship after residency and become a minimally invasive gyne surgeon but this is just plain weird. I have many, many questions about this procedure and would love to see the tape. It says here that they cut through the wall of the vagina to access the peritoneal cavity. Do they use ports like we do for laparoscopy? How do they prevent post-op peritonitis? Do they just sew up the vaginal wall externally?

I also see in the article that the inspiration for this surgery, the first of its kind, came from a 2004 tape of a surgery in India where a woman's appendix was removed with a scope through her mouth. I guess I'm...uh, proud of the medical innovations happending in "the motherland?" Seeing any part of the intestine being fetched through the mouth makes me feel a little nauseated though. It also reminds me of that South Park episode where Cartman discovers he can poop out of his mouth.

That is all. Discuss amongst yourselves.

2 comments:

gabbiana said...

Heh. Fecal emesis. The conversational topic that gets them every time.

(If I had gallbladder issues, I still think I'd sacrifice my abdominal musculature if the alternative were hurting my vagina. I... have an attachment to my vagina, let's say. And I have no abs to speak of anyway.)

tamasha said...

Does that affect your ability to birth a child vaginally?