Thursday, February 22, 2007

My Specialty

I totally stole this from that doctor on the other side of my city, Doctor-Squared, but it cracked me up -- that thing is like a mind reader!



The medical specialty for you is.... OB/GYN

OB/GYN is the best of all specialties. As an OB/GYN, you have chosen one of the most noble fields in medicine. You will work longer hours than a surgeon, but without the high pay. But you will still do it because you have a passion for the field. And after you rush to the hospital at 3 in the morning for the third night in a row to deliver a baby, the parents will turn around and sue you if there were any unforeseeable complications, which is why your insurance rates are so ridiculously high. Come to think of it, OB/GYN?? What were you thinking?

To find out what specialty best fits your unique personality, go to:

What Medical Specialty Is For You?


And, yeah....all that up there? Pretty much the universal reaction when I told people I was doing ob/gyn. Especially that bit about getting slapped with a lawsuit. Oh...yeah, let me concentrate more on losing my entire career, livelihood, and life's work when one bad outcome I had no control over means I get screwed with a debilitating malpractice suit. Um...I'm going to go curl in the fetal position and suck my thumb for a while now.

2 comments:

Redspiral said...

Yay for OB/GYN!! :D

Have you considered talking with midwives at all? Attending births as a birth support person at least once, to get that side of things? Especially not having children, it can make you more aware of the non-medical side of birth and bring that awareness to your patients who will most definitely be served beautifully in your care. :) I *highly* recommend it.

I attended the birth of a FP who does OB, and she was stunned by how much she learned by 'my side' of birth. She hasn't flipped over to the dark side (supporting homebirth lol) or anything but she's more aware now of the human experience of birth, of many subtleties she did NOT learn during her education.

I hope you'll consider it and if you're ever in WA state I'd be glad to have you tag along!

Redspiral said...

Oh but definitely find someone who isn't crazy/fringe anti- allopathy. That will just sour you. There are some amazing doulas and midwives out there who see the balanced need for all sides and who are NOT anti-allopathy. I'm one! I know I'm not alone! ;)