Wednesday, January 10, 2007

I just figured out how to text page from outside the hospital, and I just sent the website to my parents "For use in EMERGENCIES only, ie someone is dead and the house is on fire." My parents have a hard time with the concept of "emergencies," for instance when I worked nights on ER and on obstetrics I asked my parents to please not call during the day except in case of EMERGENCY because I kind of needed to sleep and then my mom would call me to say that her orchids were blooming and my dad ran over a snake in the driveway. [But I still like keeping my phone on when I'm around because I like being available to people, and also because Shanmugam tends to lock himself out of the apartment quite a bit.]

Anyway, my mom showed great restraint and instead left me a voicemail saying how much she wanted to text me today but didn't want to violate my silly "emergencies only" rule so she thought she'd just call and tell me how cute Reflux was looking in the little doggy golf shirt she got him at Walmart.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha! My mom used to call me at work and discuss rishta prospects with me. Um, mom, I'm at work???

Shakes said...

My mom calls me at work and tells me that I should tell my boss that I need to go home latest by 7pm so that I can get some proper sleep. But in talking with outsiders she always reminds me that I must be careful of not telling the family Secrets to others. I'm not sure what these Secrets are (maybe that I'm 28 and still enjoy watching cartoons) but I've been warned about this for the better part of 3 decades.

Anonymous said...

Hehe..i have told my mom when you call my cell i see the miss call no need to leave a VM.

gabbiana said...

D'oh. I realize it's much too late to give you useful advice about visiting Philadelphia now, but if you're interested I can share my thoughts on this city and why it's not Chicago, but sometimes it's okay. Email me (gabbiana at gmail) if you're curious; either way, I hope you had a good trip!

Anonymous said...

Square peg, WHERE ARE YOU? I check your sight everyday and nothing in weeks.I hope this means you're busy deciding which res offer to take. Your adoring fans miss you.

Anonymous said...

Please update, please??????? There's nothing good to read on the web anymore!