Monday, October 09, 2006

Interview invitations are slowly trickling in, and while I'm really excited, I'm also a little annoyed because one of my darling programs INSISTS on referring to me as Mr. Peg, and I'm unsure of how to remedy this. Through the Document Tracker on ERAS I see that they have indeed downloaded my photo. I'm not particularly photogenic ya'll, but I don't look like a man. My confusing ethnic androgynous name has enough testosterone to overrule the photo, apparently. I'm wondering if there's a subtle way to slip the fact that I'm female into one of my email correspondences without looking like a total a-hole.

Update: I ran into CNG again on campus! This time we managed to have a very nice, only mildly awkward conversation about some upcoming research conferences and CokeWorld in Atlanta. Conversation with CNG where I managed to avoid being completely intoxicated, pathetic, or crying: check! FINALLY.

5 comments:

maisnon said...

I'm feeling you on the name/gender problemo. I once received a rejection letter addressed to MR. maisnon after I had been on a screening interview! (I also received a "Congrats - you got the internship letter!!" addressed to MR. maisnon.")

My friend Kim - a hulking, Dutch (read: TALLLLLL!), rugby player - keeps on his fridge a reminder from his HMO to schedule his annual pap smear.

punchberry said...

This happens to me all the time. If I send back any correspondence, I don't mention it in the text, but I put Miss in parentheses in front of my name. Like,

Sincerely,
(Miss) Punch Berry

Archana said...

I've started using Ms. before my name in the auto-signature on my e-mail accounts because the same thing happens to me - and it's especially hard here in Guatemala where no one has heard of Indian names.

Chick Pea said...

when are you coming to atlanta (if?)

Brice said...

Pretty helpful info, much thanks for the article.
secretary sex video | professional journals | counter height