Thursday, August 17, 2006

I'm working my ass off on this rotation, and I think it's paying off. I love onco and it is rewarding. The OR cases are tough and people are really sick, but the patients are so awesome and great to work with. I also adore my team, which probably plays a huge part in my level of happiness right now.

Also -- I've really made a connection with one of my attendings! I think I will ask Dr. Tiny Dancer to write me a recommendation letter. He let me do my half of a hysterectomy (!!!!!!!!!!!!!) and then congratulated me on my surgical skillz. So everything is hunky dory...except for the fact that I'm not sure if he knows how to say my name. Like, he obviously KNOWS it, being that it's embroidered on my coat and on my ID badge etc, but the pronunciation of it changes. Daily. Which is weird because when I worked with him as an M3, and even in the first 2 weeks of the rotation, he was saying my name correctly. I'm not sure what changed that, but it's a little funny when even the patients can say my name right but the attending can't. I really love Dr. TD and I'm not sure how to deal with this. Like, it'd be one thing if he had NEVER gotten it right, but it's extra-awkward because he went from being spot-on to just being totally, totally, horribly, awfully butchering my name in a new and different way every time. It's OK! I am still lovin' it!!

2 comments:

Khakra said...

radical results need radical measures, stick a post it note with the pronounciation up his....

brimful said...

I'm so glad you are still blogging despite being so busy, because your enthusiasm for what you are doing really comes through in your posts.

And there is also this: they are hilarious.