Friday, August 04, 2006

I'm currently on my Gynecology Oncology rotation which is a surgical service. Which = shit ton of work. I accidentally "slept in" today (I woke up at FIVE AM instead of 4. Isn't it pathetic that it's actually possible to oversleep to 5 am?) and didn't get to work until 5:30 instead of 4:45. Yesterday I was in the OR all day so the night before I stayed up really late (all the way til ELEVEN THIRTY -- my life is so wild) reviewing the anatomy of the operation and the disease process of whatever cancer we were removing. Then I was standing around in the OR all day and I didn't get pimped at all. [Not that I'm complaining. I don't mind answering questions when I've actually read up on some stuff but in general I feel like the less I open my mouth the less I look like an idiot.]

We had one emergency surgery right after rounds, then we went right into our next case, an oncology case. I was so exhausted and thirsty by the time I got out of that SEVEN HOUR exploratory laparotomy that I INHALED a whole Nalgene bottle of water. The only bad part of finishing that case was knowing that we had another ex lap scheduled for that afternoon. The last thing anyone wanted to do was start another onco case at 4 pm that would inevitably drag on to at least 9 or 10 pm so I almost cried tears of happiness when, right before we were taking her back to the OR, her regular doctor paged us that she failed her stress test and therefore wasn't clear for surgery. Somehow rounds still ended up taking 3 hours and I didn't get home until 8. [One of these days! I will get out in under 14 hours.]

So...today there are no surgeries and no chemo clinic because they're interviewing fellows for next year! (Woo hoo!) And...ya'll, it's like a very sweet, sweet gift from God. I finally checked my email and bought stamps. I went to the med student office to change my schedule. I might go home and pick up that package I haven't gotten yet because I'm never in my apartment building when the mail room is open.

Cancer is not all that funny, but I did have one really funny story to share...there is a particular surgeon here who is kind of a beast. Screams at the residents ["WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING?! YOU CALL THAT SURGERY? YOU'RE A DOCTOR...CUT THE DAMN THING!!! CUT IT!!! QUIT FUCKING AROUND!!] during surgery (can't wait til it's my turn!), pimps mercilessly, etc. Most surgeons listen to music in the OR (I love it when they hook their iPods up to the stereos...some people's tastes in music are really great!) and this guy prefers classic rock. Yesterday on 97.9 The Drive it was Three-4-Thursday so they play 3 songs in a row by the same artist. They played Bennie and the Jets, Rocket Man, and Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me and right when that last one started playing Dr. Beast was all DAMMIT! WHY DIDN'T THEY PLAY TINY DANCER?? ASSHOLES!

3 comments:

Chick Pea said...

i did some gyn onc, mostly surg onc.. actually my mentor is now chair of ob/gyn at a big west coast school..(is ob/gyn what you're interested in?)

IAmd said...

Did the resident cut it or just freeze. Dr. Beast is always "fun" like that. If you know you music though you're safe from his wrath. When the resident messes up, he used to let the student do stuff and rarely yells at students in the OR. Keep your head in the game, but down.

square peg said...

She cut it! She kept apologizing profusely though, and I think that sort of pisses him off. And today Dr. Beast let me open all the way down to the peritoneum! Then he told me "good job" and winked at me. I was frightened.