Wednesday, July 26, 2006

This just in, ya'll: Lance Bass, formerly of N Sync, is gay. Hooray for coming out! And his boyfriend is hot, which I am very pro in regards to.

In other news, the ER exam is this Friday. Some tell me it's ridiculously easy and some tell me it's ridiculously hard. In short, I have changed absolutely nothing in my approach to this exam. I do plan to start studying today though!

And, finally, on shift last night I saw paronychia.

Treatment for this is lancing to let the pus drain out of there. However, my attending decided the nail was on its way out the door anyway so he did a digital block (numb up the finger with injected lidocaine) and then removed the entire finger nail with a scalpel and a pair of scissors.

I have never passed out in the hospital before but I came pretty close last night. I got really lightheaded watching it and felt my skin get really warm and sweaty. I started to see pulsating lights. I totally knew that I was vasovagalling but I didn't want to look like a wuss so I just stood there and watched. When we came outside I started fanning myself; the attending took one look and was all, "Maybe you just go sit down for a minute."

Fingernails, ya'll. Fingernails and eyeballs. Everyone has their thing(s) that grosses them out and I encountered my kryptonite last night. The ER resident said he can't handle nail-ectomies either, which is why he just walked out when the attending started ripping it out.

8 comments:

Slenderella said...

OMG. That is disgusting! What exactly is paronygia and how do you avoid EVER getting it? UGH. *shudder*

Anonymous said...

um yeah... i think the entire ER is going to be my kryptonite when i get there. i wasnt thrilled years ago when i shadowed an er doc who blew the earwax chunks out of a patient's ear with a syringe filled with saline either. ugh. what will i do?? still enjoy reading your blog though.

Slenderella said...

Never mind. I looked up the causes. SO GROSS. I feel queasy now. BTW, this leads me to ask....should I be avoiding manicures and pedicures. They always trim my cuticles and push them back. Toes and feet. I would rather have boring nails than nasty ooze filled digits.

square peg said...

Slenderella! Manis and pedis are fine (I love getting them despite paronychia horror stories) as long as you go to a well-trusted establishment that sterilizes their instruments between customers.

sleepy said...

I'm thinking now's a good time to leave med school if I'm already "vasovagalling" looking at that picture. Nice word though :)

David G said...

Please post again or remove the picture. Seeing that upon visiting your website is disgusting.

trAcy said...

oh, who can whine about gross pictures!

i like them to appear. shock is good.

so many things to get infected!

BidiSmoker said...

That would probably be kryptonite for me also. By the way, I really enjoy your blog, I'm glad you decided to keep it up through med school.