Friday, July 21, 2006

O. M. G. YA'LL.

Hey, remember how a couple of months ago I swore to never binge drink on a date again? I need to stick a post-it on my hand or something everytime I go out, am in the vicinity of a bar, or am otherwise in public, because I'll be damned if I didn't up and binge drink on a date again last night. [But with decidedly less morbid results this time!]

I got out of my MPH class at 9, and caught up with one of my former classmates (just graduated and now an intern!--this is off topic, but I see many of my former classmates in the ED, mostly the surgery and medicine interns who are called down for consults/admissions and it's SO WEIRD to see them in their long white coats. Like...I remember seeing you turn green in anatomy lab first year and have a panic attack in the library about Boards second year....you can't be a real doctor!) at Matisse in Lakeview. Turns out neither of us can resist a good deal on a drink (dude...I'm desi. It can't be helped. He's clearly just an alcoholic.). I was ok with this though, as I didn't have to go to work until 1 PM today. He, on the other hand, had to go in at 6 AM.

"Enabler of vice" is not the ideal image of myself I wish to present on a date, but we did end up splitting a pack of cigarettes and drinking til 1 AM, at which point I insisted that we part ways before I ended up being responsible for him vomiting on rounds or something.

Anyway, I just got off shift and listened to my messages, and there was a hilarious one from him this afternoon:

"So, I had the most ridiculous day...

Here I was expecting some outrageous story about starting an IV on himself instead of eating lunch to rapidly hydrate or something...PEOPLE, IT HAS BEEN DONE BEFORE.

...
this morning was a little painful, especially when it started hailing as soon as I left for work.

Evidently I slept right through this hailstorm.

I decided to just take a cab to work, but unfortunately the rest of Chicago had the same idea, so I was waiting in the hail for over 20 minutes and no cabs came by. I called in to let my resident know I was running late. My resident was pretty surprised to hear from me, because apparently, today's my day off. So I pulled out my schedule, and what do you know! Chuckles heartily. Then I went back in and slept all day. Isn't that hilarious?"

People, does that not sound EXACTLY like something I would do? I am the MASTER of confusing my schedule up. Hee! I don't know if this bodes well or deadly, but it certainly cracks me up.

1 comment:

BidiSmoker said...

All of my doctor friends "bag" themselves after a late night of drinking. It's the quickest, easiest way to rehydrate and avoid the ill effects of drinking.