Wednesday, December 21, 2005

"We have to watch the cricket!"

For my dad's 50th birthday a couple of years ago, my mom presented him with a cricket bat. I'd never seen him so happy before. Cricket is my dad's all-time favorite sport.

Since the bat entered the picture, our lives have all changed. Now anytime any of the offspring are home, they are forced to play cricket with my dad out in the backyard. If it's not snowing in Southern Illinois, there'll be some paddling this Christmas, I guarantee it. My parents always get really excited any time all 3 of us kids are home at the same time because "the family can have dinner together" etc but I think my dad's mostly psyched because now there are more people to play cricket with him.

We've got all the cricket gear. My dad had a set of wickets and the little .. stick....thing that rests on the wicket. There's even this big astroturf mat that serves as the "crease," or where you bat and run around between wickets. Unfortunately, whoever bought the bat forgot to get the ball that goes with it, so we play with tennis balls. I wouldn't mind playing cricket with my dad and his friends except I always get stuck fielding and that means having to look for the stupid tennis ball whenever it lands in the woods, chasing the ball through the brush, fighting the neighbor's dog for it etc. We go through a lot of tennis balls.


Cricket is kind of a complex game, and I won't even attempt to explain it because my understanding of it is probably all wrong anyway. It's kind of like baseball, in that there is a ball. And an apparatus with which to strike the ball. Beyond that, it's different, and kind of confusing.

There's like 47 different fielding positions! Now if my parents could have about 30 more children, my dad could have his own little cricket team.

When I was just in India they were playing a test match against Sri Lanka so naturally it was all anyone wanted to watch. (And the games go on FOREVER. Like all day, for multiple days. They take lunch breaks.) I've watched a lot of cricket in my day but I still don't get it entirely. But that's mostly because I'm usually too busy concentrating on the hot sweaty guys running around in their cute little sweater vests to actually try to follow the game.

5 comments:

Rohin said...

Bails sweetheart, the little sticks that go on the stumps are called bails.

I wrote an article a long time ago about the American cricket team. Sad state of affairs.

Cricket is the most technical sport in the world - you keep learning your whole life, so don't worry about understanding it fully. But never, EVER say "it's like baseball". That bastard 'sport' is some cock-eyed spin-off of a kids' playground game!

PS - I'm hoping you realise the fielding positions you got thar are fake? They're pretty funny! I especially like the slip cordon - Forth, Tyne and Dogger are shipping regions off the north coast of Britain. Crazy.

square peg said...

Hmm..OK, my dad sent that website to us awhile back. Of course, I might have gotten the joke if I actually knew anything about cricket.

Anonymous said...

Cricket Live Matches At Your Desktop
http://cricketlivematches.blogspot.com/


There are thousands of High Quality Channels streaming live cricket from around the world. We are here to show you how to

find them. Receive live match links in your mail account. All internation Cricket matches Streams. Note all matches are as

per BST.

Special Introductory offer:
Live match links in your mail account at only £1.00 GBP. Free for First Day if you subscribe it now.

1. Free Software:
We will provide you all software you need to get live match at your desktop.

2. Low Cost:
Free for the first day, Receive live match links in your mail account @ £1.00 GBP for each 2 weeks.

3. What's Needed:
Just need is to click on the link, start the software and match is on your desktop.

3. Live Soccer:
Watch live soccer online on your PC no need of buying Sky or Cable?

4. Is It Legal?
We donot stream live Cricket from this server or blog. There are thousands of High Quality Channels streaming live Cricket

from around the world. We are here to show you how to find them.

Check it Once

http://cricketlivematches.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Cricket Live Matches At Your Desktop
http://cricketlivematches.blogspot.com/


There are thousands of High Quality Channels streaming live cricket from around the world. We are here to show you how to find them. Receive live match links in your mail account. All internation Cricket matches Streams. Note all matches are as per BST.

Special Introductory offer:
Live match links in your mail account at only £1.00 GBP. Free for First Day if you subscribe it now.

1. Free Software:
We will provide you all software you need to get live match at your desktop.

2. Low Cost:
Free for the first day, Receive live match links in your mail account @ £1.00 GBP for each 2 weeks.

3. What's Needed:
Just need is to click on the link, start the software and match is on your desktop.

3. Live Soccer:
Watch live soccer online on your PC no need of buying Sky or Cable?

4. Is It Legal?
We donot stream live Cricket from this server or blog. There are thousands of High Quality Channels streaming live Cricket from around the world. We are here to show you how to find them.

Check it Once

http://cricketlivematches.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

um yes i also LOVE CRIC aha ... lol um yes...