Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Imagine all the people...

Last night I had to sit at home all evening because I was on hotline call for RVAP. I got the very special privilege of receiving my first ever prank call on the motherfucking RAPE CRISIS HOTLINE. (Seriously. People are so goddamn sick sometimes.) At about 4 AM the hotline phone woke me up and when I answered it, it was some asshole demanding to know what was I wearing.

I was really caught off-guard. For a second I was confused and thought I was getting drunk dialed by an ex again, until I realized that I was holding the crisis phone and not my personal cellphone. Then he asked again what I was wearing, bitch, and I could hear people in the background: Dood, are there more beers in the fridge? Where's the beef jerky?

Aw, fuck. Seriously? You woke me up for this bullshit?

Apparently, in Iowa, there's a real serious problem with sexual deviants abusing local and state crisis hotlines. The cops have gotten involved numerous times; hundreds of calls have been traced back to certain people. They were unable to convict them of anything though. It was happening so frequently that my agency very reluctantly adopted an unfortunate policy of not processing any male callers. We're supposed to ask for a callback number and a full-time staff person will call them back. How much does that suck?

I've gotten only a handful of male callers and not a single one has left a callback number. Many of them say they'll just call the office during the daytime, or just need a quick question answered. It's impossible to know who's legitimate and who isn't. (Obviously drunk-dumbass-who-confused-rape-hotline-for-phone-sex-line was one of the non-legitimate ones. I just hung up on him and went back to sleep.)

This morning I went to the office around 8 to go drop the phone off and I was going to park my car somewhere and catch the bus to the hospital but then I realized I'd left my bus pass at home. When I went back to look for it I ran into my dog, squeezed into that space between the counter and the fridge, staring at the wall. He is so weird sometimes.

7 comments:

Sakshi said...

ahhhhh...some people get sadistic pleasure....be careful next time.

Khakra said...

My bus pass met a tragic end yesterday. Left it in my pocket, the pant went for a wash & dry. and when i finally got it, it was completely destroyed into 50 trillion minute pieces. RIP.

Rohin said...

Nice of you to volunteer though. But did the guy's buddy REALLY say "Where's the beef jerky?" or did you just hear general pished rowdiness? It's a classic piss-head line!

Sooooo...what're you wearing?

square peg said...

I really hate the hotline. It's much more emotionally draining; they've had time to think about it and they're really ready to talk when they call. In Chicago the program had us only do in-person trauma counseling, but here in Iowa you have to cover both the hotline and the ER. It was kind of nice to be able to leave your house, go do your job, then come home and just leave it all behind. I had to get recertified when I moved out here anyway though just because the laws re: age of consent/mandated reporting differ from state to state.

Khakra said...

do you have to continue to serve the hotline?

square peg said...

They like us to do both. It depends on how early you sign up for your shifts and what's available.

Jonah said...

Quite worthwhile material, thank you for the post.
electronic cigarettes